Thursday, May 24, 2018

You Don't Want Carpet, You Want An Area Rug

I remember the movie Punchline, which featured several comics of the day, and a young Tom Hanks falling for an older Sally Fields. 

Nothing about that movie has anything to do with what I'm about to say except Taylor Negron is in the movie, and during his routine he does an impersonation of a Persian rug dealer who says "You don't want carpet, you want an area rug." 

Back to that later. The night Taylor Neron died we were ironically just listening to one of his routines about visiting his uncle who was in Three Dog Night, and how it wasn't unusual for Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, or any other rock star of the day to be present at his uncle's house. A few moments after listening to the routine I learned he had passed that evening.

This is a painting my partner Jenny did for a show we have coming up at the end of June called the Come and Go Motel Show. It's obviously the carpet Danny rides his big wheel on in the classic Stephen King horror movie "The Shining." 

The Shining Carpet by Jenny Mathews

I've seen people say everything in the movie is some sort of secret message, and that even the carpet is a design that is there to tell us the moon landing was a hoax or some other conspiracy theory. I don't know about any of that. 

I'm just trying promote this show and my partner's work on the first really hot day of the year here in Northern Illinois. I put my air conditioner in and used bungee cord to hold it in place, then an old electric blanket as insulation. It must look like someone really trashy lives in my apartment, and I suppose that's the case. 

Can't really promote this blog or post it anywhere that people will see it, so I'll stop now. You can like Zombie Logic Press on Facebook if you want, but I know you won't so I'm going to go do something else, maybe watch Portnoy's Complaint. 


No comments:

Post a Comment